By Jim Carbary
April 17, 2011
For the Washington Running Report
Not often does a 47-year-old woman win a large format race such as Clyde’s 10K, but that is exactly what Robyn Humphrey did last Sunday, April 17, 2011. The Howard County Striders Master Runner of 2010 led from start to finish and fulfilled a lifelong dream of winning the race.
“It was on my bucket list,” Robyn said. “And I wasn’t getting younger.”
Still, her victory was not a slam dunk. She faced stiff competition from Unsong Ostrowski and Suzy Serpico.
“Suzy was breathing down my neck for a while.” Apparently, though, digestive issues obliged Serpico to check her speed and gave Humphrey a chance to win. Robyn’s time of 40:09 was two minutes faster than last year.
“I also want to thank all the runners who chose to run the Boston Marathon and the Pike’s Peek 10K,” Robyn said, referring to races where her potential competition went.
In the men’s competition, Carlos Renjifo won the race for the second year in a row. He had little competition and, like Humphrey, led from start to finish.
“I was trying to keep up a hard effort,” Renjifo said, “and focus on my time.”
The strong wind gave him some trouble holding that pace, especially on that long uphill on Route 108. “I kept looking at my watch. It didn’t quite work out.” He finished in 33:18 in spite of the wind.
The real battle in the men’s race was for second place. Masters runner Peter Keating bolted from the start as if he was trying to beat Renjifo and managed to hold on to second place for at least two miles. At that point, Karsten Brown asserted himself and took over sole possession of second place, where he eventually finished as distant second to Renjifo.
“I may have finished the race second,” Karsten said, “But I got to the beer before anyone else.” Brown’s time of 34:18 was only 18 seconds from a personal best.
The second woman older than 40 to finish was also the first woman older than 50. She won the prize for first masters woman. Grandmaster Pat Wilkerson nailed a 42:21. She finished immediately behind 12-year-old sensation Avery Cunningham, who placed fourth overall in 2010.
“Yep, she’s a great runner,” Pat said with a smile. The first master male was Keating, but because he finished third overall, the male masters award devolved to Matt Reinhardt from Crownsville.
The 33rd Annual Clyde’s 10K took place on a chilly, breezy morning the day after torrential rains had swept through Columbia. Nearly 1500 registered for the event, with 1299 finished. Afterward, Clyde’s of Columbia furnished the runners with a sumptuous brunch that included pasta, turkey chili, yogurt, bagels, fresh California strawberries, and that beer. The beer was served only to adults.
Clyde’s also provided interesting prizes. In addition to gift certificates from Feet First of Hickory Ridge, the top three men and women received a beach cooler with a beach blanket, a water bottle, a Clyde’s hat, and various other beach necessities. Age group winners got the cooler and/or the blanket.
The Howard County Striders have staged this race for Clyde’s since 1979, making it the oldest continuously sponsored race in Maryland. In spite of competing with Pike’s Peek 10K (Rockville) and the Boston Marathon, the race enjoyed one of its largest fields ever. Dennis Albright directed the race, with the assistance of dozens of Strider volunteers and traffic control by the Howard County Police.
1. Carlos Renjifo (Columbia, MD) 33:17
2. Karsten Brown (Front Royal, VA) 34:18
3. Peter Keating (Columbia, MD) 34:46
1. Robyn Humphrey (Ellicott City, MD) 40:09
2. UnSong Ostrowski (Laurel, MD) 40:49
3. Suzy Serpico (Columbia, MD) 41:14
1. Matthew Reinhart (Crownsville, MD) 37:46
1. Pat Wilkerson (Columbia, MD) 42:21
1. Conner Holley (Columbia, MD) 40:45
2. Alec Font (Ellicott City, MD) 41:16
3. Thomas Brumbaugh (Columbia, MD) 42:07
1. Avery Cunningham (Annapolis, MD) 42:18
2. Devin McIntyre (Ellicott City, MD) 48:08
3. Caroline Johnson (Ellicott City, MD) 55:58
1. Daniel Rau (Ellicott City, MD) 37:10
2. Sam Siegel (Ellicott City, MD) 37:33
3. Ted Terpos (Ellicott City, MD) 38:39
1. Jennifer King (Dayton, MD) 45:18
2. Katie Gessler (Ellicott City, MD) 45:22
3. Molly Bumbera (Elkridge, MD) 41:18
1. David Harris (Boston, MA) 37:31
2. Nathaniel Middleton (Glen Burnie, MD) 37:48
3. Daneil Scheinerman (Columbia, MD) 41:43
1. Amanda An (Ellicott City, MD) 50:54
2. Danielle Caracciolo (Hanover, MD) 50:56
3. Katie Leffner (Columbia, MD) 51:16
1. Charles Bowles (Boyce, VA) 37:05
2. Josh Dawson (Cheasapeake Beach, MD) 37:40
3. Andrew Ackley (Hanover, MD) 38:32
1. Caroline Bauer (Laurel, MD) 42:12
2. Emily Knapp (Baltimore, MD) 44:06
3. Amanda Gdowik (Baltimore, MD) 45:33
1. Luis Diaz (Jessup, MD) 38:25
2. Jason Miller (Catonsville, MD) 38:58
3. Jeff Berger (Bel Air, MD) 39:03
1. Tiffany Hevner (Columbia, MD) 41:45
2. Adrienne Davidson (Fulton, MD) 43:53
3. Jaimo Fine (Elkridge, MD) 43:53
1. Jeffrey Spencer (Millersville, MD) 37:57
2. Mark Aaby (Ellicott City, MD) 38:36
3. Claudio Delfino (Baltimore, MD) 40:36
1. Elizabeth Flynn (Ellicott City, MD) 43:48
2. Lisa Farias (Ellicott City, MD) 44:31
3. Cathy Boegner (Baltimore, MD) 46:30
1. Todd Matthiesen (Marriottsville, MD) 38:58
2. Marcellus Vandervalk (Highland, MD) 39:21
3. Stephen Turner (Columbia, MD) 40:06
1. Gina Rower (Ellicott City, MD) 44:15
2. Becky Ramsing (Columbia, MD) 44:24
3. Dena Brzezicki (Ellicott City, MD) 44:43
1. Sheldon Degenhardt (Marriottsville, MD) 38:05
2. Jay Sweet (Laurel, MD) 38:14
3. Mark Miller (Fulton, MD) 38:20
1. Donna Wecker (Elkridge, MD) 42:50
2. Janeth Scott (Columbia, MD) 44:19
3. Lisa Fichman (Columbia, MD) 44:44
1. Joseph Hanle (Columbia, MD) 39:29
2. Mark Rosasco (Arnold, MD) 41:16
3. Bobby Gessler (Ellicott City, MD) 41:30
1. Dorothy Beckett (Columbia, MD) 44:44
2. Carole Rosasco (Arnold, MD) 46:56
3. Nancy Thompson (Columbia, MD) 48:30
1. John Heslin (Ellicott City, MD) 37:50
2. Keith Harrison (Columbia, MD) 47:32
3. Jim Grover (Columbia, MD) 48:11
1. Mary Lang (Pasadena, MD) 50:56
2. Lynne Douglas (Columbia, MD) 52:19
3. Esther Hoffberg (Reisterstown, MD) 55:10
1. Ellen Rabe (Columbia, MD) 53:53
2. Natalie Vaslavsky (Pikesville, MD) 1:03:23
3. Fran Daum (Elkridge, MD) 1:11:48
1. Ronnie Wong (Catonsville, MD) 43:10
2. Pat Gary (Manchester, MD) 43:28
3. Piriya Pinit (Catonsville, MD) 45:57