Maegan Krifchin, a professional runner for Mizuno living in Silver Spring, reached the Olympic Trials “A” standard in the marathon, running 2:33:30 at the Hamburg Marathon in Germany April 26.
D.C. area athletes performed well at the Penn Relays April 26-28:
- Loudoun Valley junior Andrew Hunter won the high school mile run championship (4:07.15), with Northwest senior Diego Zarate third (4:09.69).
- Lake Braddock sophomore Kate Murphy won with high school girls’ 3000m championship in (9:32.82) for a 1.3 second margin of victory.
- Patriot’s girls won the Distance Medley Championship of America in 11:51:85. The team consisted of Candace Jones (3:42.82 for 1200m), Erin Andrewlevich (57.59/ 400 m), Sierra Bieberr (2:21.29/ 800m) and Rachel McArthur (4:50.16/ 1600m).
- Frances Koons (above, 51) of the Georgetown Running Club won the Olympic Development Women’s 5000m in 16:27.84, with Capital Area Runners’ Susanna Sullivan (53) finishing second in 16:30.27.
- Oiselle runner Kerri Gallagher won the Olympic Development Women’s Mile in 4:34:42.
Police arrest former high school coach, Cherry Blossom lottery open, US XC champs come to Virginia in ’23 and ’24, D’Amato wins national half marathon title, Farley indulges himself.
Since everyone seems to be remarking that last year felt like five, here’s some of what happened in the local running scene in 2021.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the 62 best cross country runners in the D.C. area.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the seven girls and seven boys for the All-RunWashington Virginia team.