- The rebuilding project for Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park will begin after Labor Day, the National Park Service announced.
- Manassas resident Bethany Sachtleben will race on the U.S. Mountain Running Team at the world championships in Bulgaria this September after finishing second at the Loon Mountain Race July 3 in New Hampshire. A graduate student at Northern Virginia Community College, Sachtleben also won the Collegiate Running Association Mountain Running Championship, which was held concurrently.
- LetsRun.com a compiled an oral history of the women’s 5,000 meters at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, which was won by Georgetown assistant coach Julie Culley. Part I: The Road to the Trials Part II: The Race Part III:
- The Rockville Rotary Twilight Runfest will become a 5k this year, after being run since 1985, with a few weather cancellations, as an 8k.
- Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon will add an 8k this year.
Police arrest former high school coach, Cherry Blossom lottery open, US XC champs come to Virginia in ’23 and ’24, D’Amato wins national half marathon title, Farley indulges himself.
Since everyone seems to be remarking that last year felt like five, here’s some of what happened in the local running scene in 2021.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the 62 best cross country runners in the D.C. area.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the seven girls and seven boys for the All-RunWashington Virginia team.