- The rebuilding project for Beach Drive in Rock Creek Park will begin after Labor Day, the National Park Service announced.
- Manassas resident Bethany Sachtleben will race on the U.S. Mountain Running Team at the world championships in Bulgaria this September after finishing second at the Loon Mountain Race July 3 in New Hampshire. A graduate student at Northern Virginia Community College, Sachtleben also won the Collegiate Running Association Mountain Running Championship, which was held concurrently.
- LetsRun.com a compiled an oral history of the women’s 5,000 meters at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials, which was won by Georgetown assistant coach Julie Culley. Part I: The Road to the Trials Part II: The Race Part III:
- The Rockville Rotary Twilight Runfest will become a 5k this year, after being run since 1985, with a few weather cancellations, as an 8k.
- Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon will add an 8k this year.
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
Born in 1984 as the George Washington Parkway Classic, it is among the most scenic and spacious distance races on the East Coast. From the serene beauty of our spacious course meandering through the finest spring bloom in the DC