- Following Georgetown Director of Track and Field Mike Smith‘s departure to Northern Arizona University, Julie Culley has been promoted to head coach for women’s cross country.
- The Montgomery County Parks Department has opened a new trail — the Ten Mile Creek Trail — in Black Hill Regional Park. The natural surface trail stretches 6.1 miles between Clarksburg Road and Ten Mile Creek Road.
- Marymount University hired Brian Cunningham as the head men’s and women’s cross country coach.
- The National Park Service released its final NPS Paved Trails Study, which outlines priority projects. Among the recommendations of interest to runners:
- Plans to link regional trails around the Washington, D.C. area to create up to 45 miles of the National Capital Trail
- Connecting the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge to Arlington Ridge Park (U.S. Marine Corps Memorial and Netherlands Carillon)
- Developing a connection from Mount Vernon Trail to Theodore Roosevelt Bridge on south side of the bridge
- Improving access to the Mount Vernon Trail from the Airport Access Road overpass at Ronald Reagan National Airport/ Aviation Circle
- Conducting a feasibility study for a trail facility along the Oregon Avenue, NW corridor, stretching from Military Road, NW to the D.C./Maryland line, that avoids impacts to park resources
- Developing a hiker-biker trail connector from Shepherd Parkway SW through Oxon Cove Park to the Oxon Hill Farm Trail, and,
- Conducting a feasibility study for extension of the Suitland Parkway Trail from the D.C./ Maryland line to Henson Creek Trail.
Zoo Loop now closes at 5 p.m., Arlington Boulevard comments due Sept. 28, Kelati heading to world road racing championships.
After a nearly year-long hiatus, Pace the Nation has returned with St. Andrews graduate and Georgetown recruit Tinoda Matsatsa.
Keira D’Amato breaks the American record in the half marathon, Chantilly’s Sean McGorty makes the world 5k team and DDOT will hold a meeting on a new bridge to the Arboretum.
A man broke an adult male runner’s nose while beating him after the runner bumped into him at approximately 11 a.m. June 24 on the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail near RFK…
Both 5K and 1 mile courses are USATF certified. The 5K course has some moderate hills. The 1 mile course is flat making this a perfect PR course. We are really looking to get a broader participation base.