- The last few days’ worth of heavy, sustained rain has caused Lake Accotink to flood a little. It’s not a huge problem, and affects only the area near the dam, but you should not try to cross it. In fact, don’t try to cross any flooded trails, you have no idea what might be under there. At the very least you’ll probably twist your ankle.
- For the 2017 season, the local Gatorade Players of the Year for cross country include, for D.C. Gonzaga sophomore Gavin McElhennon and National Cathedral School senior Page Lester, for Maryland Walter Johnson senior Abbey Green and for Virginia, Loudoun Valley junior Sam Affolder and South Lakes senior Olivia Beckner.
- The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named Loudoun Valley coach Marc Hunter boys’ coach of the year.
- Washington, D.C. consultant Jonathan Terrell completed the World Marathon Challenge, in which runners complete marathons on every continent over the course of seven days.
- The transfer period for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run is open through 11:59 p.m. Feb. 29.
- South Lakes alumnus Alan Webb will be one of the inaugural inductees to the National High School Track and Field Hall of Fame. Webb, the American record holder in the mile since 2007, will join 29 other inductees, including former U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun (R-Kan.) who has lived in Washington, D.C. Here’s his July 2017 appearance on Pace the Nation.
- The Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4B voted to approve a 1.6 mile segment of the Metropolitan Branch Trail, which will connect Fort Totten to Takoma Park, Md.
Check out some mile seven photos from the Rock ‘n’ Roll D.C. Half Marathon.
New RnR course, Chocolate City Relay applications open, PVTC finishes second at masters indoors, Shoemaker sets 3k AR, DRC starts up again Wednesday.
Runners from local clubs raced the RRCA Club Challenge Feb. 26 in Howard County, Md.
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
Hero Dogs 3rd Annual 5K9
The in-person event at the historic Congressional Cemetery in Washington DC will include a 5K and 1K fun run. There will also be a virtual option for supporters outside the DC area. Race week festivities will also include an amazing
George Washington Patriot Run
Join George Washington’s Mount Vernon for a 10-miler and 5K race along the George Washington Memorial Parkway. This race is live and in-person, with a virtual option for those who prefer to run at their own pace and schedule.