- The last few days’ worth of heavy, sustained rain has caused Lake Accotink to flood a little. It’s not a huge problem, and affects only the area near the dam, but you should not try to cross it. In fact, don’t try to cross any flooded trails, you have no idea what might be under there. At the very least you’ll probably twist your ankle.
- For the 2017 season, the local Gatorade Players of the Year for cross country include, for D.C. Gonzaga sophomore Gavin McElhennon and National Cathedral School senior Page Lester, for Maryland Walter Johnson senior Abbey Green and for Virginia, Loudoun Valley junior Sam Affolder and South Lakes senior Olivia Beckner.
- The U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named Loudoun Valley coach Marc Hunter boys’ coach of the year.
- Washington, D.C. consultant Jonathan Terrell completed the World Marathon Challenge, in which runners complete marathons on every continent over the course of seven days.
- The transfer period for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run is open through 11:59 p.m. Feb. 29.
- South Lakes alumnus Alan Webb will be one of the inaugural inductees to the National High School Track and Field Hall of Fame. Webb, the American record holder in the mile since 2007, will join 29 other inductees, including former U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun (R-Kan.) who has lived in Washington, D.C. Here’s his July 2017 appearance on Pace the Nation.
- The Advisory Neighborhood Commission 4B voted to approve a 1.6 mile segment of the Metropolitan Branch Trail, which will connect Fort Totten to Takoma Park, Md.
Police arrest former high school coach, Cherry Blossom lottery open, US XC champs come to Virginia in ’23 and ’24, D’Amato wins national half marathon title, Farley indulges himself.
Since everyone seems to be remarking that last year felt like five, here’s some of what happened in the local running scene in 2021.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the 62 best cross country runners in the D.C. area.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the seven girls and seven boys for the All-RunWashington Virginia team.