- Runners hoping for the Glover Archbold Trail entrance at Canal Road to be reopened are due for more uncertainty. The D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board denied WMATA’s petition to demolish the deteriorating streetcar trestle that spans the trail entrance. The threat of falling pieces has forced the closure of the trail entrance and a detour that really isn’t much fun at all.
- A new bike and pedestrian path will be added to Piney Branch Parkway over the next year, between Beach Drive and Arkansas Ave NW.
- The U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced several honors for local coaches and runners for the 2018 outdoor track season.
- Georgetown’s Brandon Bonsey was named Mid-Atlantic Region assistant coach of the year by the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.
- Williams College junior Tristan Colaizzi, a Georgetown Day alumnus, was a Division III All-American in the 1,500 meters.
- Northern Virginia girls swept the top six places in the 6A 1600 meters and Loudoun Valley swept the top four 1600 meters spots in 4A at the Virginia state track championships. Here are the local winners and sweeps in various distance races. The Vikings also took seven of the top 10 places in the 3200 meters:
1. Sam Affolder Loudoun Valley 4:20.64
2. Connor Wells Loudoun Valley 4:23.57
3. Jacob Windle Loudoun Valley 4:24.09
4. Colton Bogucki Loudoun Valley 4:25.74
1.Jacob Hunter 9:09.18
2.Sam Affolder 9:09.61
1.Natalite Morris 10:53.84
1.Loudoun Valley 8:07.16
1.Clark Edwards Rock Ridge 1:55.26
1.Ben Nibbelink 4:13.41
1.Adam Wosahla Patriot 1:55.05
1.Nicole Re Chantilly 2:13.73
1.Andrew Delvecchio Lake Braddock 4:12.77
1.Chase Kappeler West Springfield 5:02.72
2.Seneca Willen James W. Robinson 5:06.64
3.Merrill Leak James Madison 5:06.64
4 Rachel Green Oakton 5:08.10
5 Julia Ghiselli Annandale 5:10.45
6 Natalie Bardach George Marshall 5:12.76
1.Lindsay Yentz Patriot 10:51.64
2.Julia Ghiselli Annandale 10:56.73