- A man dressed dark clothes with a dark backpack tried to attack a woman running on the Paint Branch Trail near Lake Artemesia in College Park July 10 around 7:30 p.m.
- Georgetown freshman Rey Rivera advanced to the semi-finals of the 800 meters at the IAAF U20 track championships in Finland.
- Woodrow Wilson senior Isaac Frumkin was named Gatorade Athlete of the Year for the outdoor track season. The 800 meter runner was the only local distance runner to win the award this year, representing Washington, D.C. Georgetown Day School sophomore Ziyah Holman, a sprinter, was girls athlete of the year for D.C. and Bullis senior Masai Russell, a hurdler, was Maryland athlete of the year for girls.
- American University assistant coach and 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier Chris Kwiatkowski will be coaching at the University of Washington starting this cross country season. Recent Arlington resident Matthew Centrowitz will join him as a volunteer assistant coach.
- RunBlogRun interviewed Chantilly alumnus Sean McGorty