- The W&OD Trail bridge spanning Lee Highway in Arlington opened March 12.
- Montgomery County will resume closing two sections of Little Falls Parkway to motorists on weekends starting March 27.
- Loudoun County’s Office of Mapping and Geographic Information has launched a new mobile-friendly online map of the county’s unpaved roads.
- The Montgomery County Council will be discussing budget amendments March 23 at 9 a.m., including the includsion of the Capital Crescent Trail Tunnel. View the meeting here
- The People’s Alliance for Rock Creek is organizing a campaign to ask the National Park Service to permanently close upper Beach Drive to through traffic.
- The College of William and Mary announced that its men’s track and field team, previously retained for a season after initially being cut last September, will remain an NCAA sport.
- Georgetown’s women team finished 18th and its men’s team finished 22nd at the NCAA Cross Country Championships March 15 in Stillwater, Okla. Georgetown alumnus and former coach Mike Smith coached Northern Arizona to the men’s title and Walt Whitman alumnus and former Georgetown coach Will Palmer, an assistant at Alabama, helepd coach women’s winner Mercy Chelangat and third place finisher Amaris Tyynismaa. Individual finishers with D.C.-area connections included:
32.Maggie Donohue Georgetown 20:51 for 6k
83 Annabelle Eastman George Mason 21:23
89 Sami Cornman Georgetown 21:27
95 Bethany Graham Furman, John Champe High School 21:28
138 Baylee Jones Georgetown 21:45
165 Alyssa Aldridge Georgetown 22:00
166 Rachel McArthur Colorado, Patriot High School 22:01
191 Katie Dammer Georgetown 22:19
218 Caroline Howley Duke, McLean High School22:38
225 Mary Hennelly Georgetown 22:48
229 Maegan Doody Georgetown 22:52
74 Parker Stokes Georgetown 31:13 for 10k
111 Shea Weilbaker Georgetown 31:37
129 Jack Salisbury Georgetown 31:56
143 Camden Gilmore Georgetown 32:08
158 Peter Morris Virginia, Loudoun Valley High School 32:18
160 Quinn Nicholson Georgetown 32:19
219 Hantz Tostenson Georgetown 33:21
223 Harry Monroe Virginia, Gonzaga College High School 33:36
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
Born in 1984 as the George Washington Parkway Classic, it is among the most scenic and spacious distance races on the East Coast. From the serene beauty of our spacious course meandering through the finest spring bloom in the DC