- The Virginia Sports Information Directors awarded all-state honors to several local distance runners:
- Division III: First Team – Sam Llaneza, University of Lynchburg (Brentsville District); Second Team Ryan Henderson, Christopher Newport (George Mason High School); Emily Miller, Shenandoah (Patriot); Second Team Sam Koltisko, Christopher Newport (Freedom)
- Division I: First team – Annabelle Eastman, George Mason University; First team Diego Zarate, Virginia Tech (Northwest); First team Derek Johnson, Virginia (Tusacora); First team Fitsum Seyoum, Virginia Tech (Tusacora); Second Team Lauren Berman, Virginia Tech (Robinson); Second Team Kyra Holland, William and Mary (Loudoun Valley)
- Potomac River Running plans to open a store in South Riding, Va.
- VDOT and the Commonwealth Transportation Board selected the Mt. Vernon Trail North Enhancement Trail Project for SMART Scale Funding. This award is for $28.2 million and preliminary engineering will start in 2026. This project will repair and widen approximately 6.5 miles of the Mount Vernon Trail in Arlington and Alexandria, from Roosevelt Island to Jones Point Park
- The Alexandria’s Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities and the Department of Project Implementation will hold a 6:30 p.m. meeting on Wednesday, July 28 to provide an update on the Holmes Run Bike & Pedestrian Trail Restoration Project at the Patrick Henry Recreation Center at 4653 Taney Ave.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
Bib swapping may seem like it wouldn’t matter, but it has far-reaching consequences for runners and races.
Born in 1984 as the George Washington Parkway Classic, it is among the most scenic and spacious distance races on the East Coast. From the serene beauty of our spacious course meandering through the finest spring bloom in the DC