- Repairs to a water pump outside of the Foundary Branch Tunnel is forcing a detour of the Capital Crescent Trail until at least late November.
- Sean Graham has been hired to coach the American University track and cross country teams. He was most recently an assistant at the University of Kentucky and previously served as an assistant at American, and a volunteer assistant at George Mason.
- A handful of runners with local connections competed at the IAAF World Championships this weekend.
- Georgetown alumna Emily Infeld finished sixth in the 10k, running 31:20.45 behind Ethiopian winner Almaz Ayana’s 30:16.32.
- Stafford’s Serena Burla, formerly of Falls Church, was 11th in the IAAF World Championships Marathon, running 2:29.32, Lindsay Flanagan, formerly of Silver Spring, finished 37th in 2:39.27. Bahrain’s Rose Chelimo won in 2:27.11. Hiruni Wijayaratne, a Herndon alumna running for Sri Lanka, made it halfway before dropping out.
- Edose Ibadin, a District Track Club member competing for Nigeria, ran in the 800 meter heats, finishing in 1:46.51. He was the second non-qualifier for the semifinals, 0.09 seconds out of the last advancing spot.
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Celebrate Memorial Day! Honor our past and present military heroes and first responders by running in the annual RINGING IN HOPE: A SALUTE TO OUR TROOPS! Join your friends and neighbors on May 29, 2023, at