If you’re hoping to catch some looks in Georgetown, hop behind the wheel of race organizer Jay Wind’s maroon Ford Aerostar XLT van. I did in 2011, for a spin around M Street and Wisconsin Avenue. It handled well enough, but what mattered was inside. Enough equipment to manage a road race, or have a lot of fun on the lam:
- A scaffolding for the finish and start lines
- Enough cones to set up a driver training course
- A few tables and chairs
- Some odds and ends that could probably repair a metro escalator
- A computer older than me
- A loudspeaker
- A wooden train whistle
- Extension cords to stretch to a 5K turnaround
- Miscellaneous track implements, including several shot puts
- A stack of frisbees
- PVC piping
- Bolt cutters
- A beach ball
- A plastic novelty oversized lime
Police arrest former high school coach, Cherry Blossom lottery open, US XC champs come to Virginia in ’23 and ’24, D’Amato wins national half marathon title, Farley indulges himself.
Since everyone seems to be remarking that last year felt like five, here’s some of what happened in the local running scene in 2021.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the 62 best cross country runners in the D.C. area.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the seven girls and seven boys for the All-RunWashington Virginia team.