- Annandale resident Caleb Hymans ran a 10k single-age world record for 12-year-old boys at the Turkey Trot 10k in Quantico Nov. 18, running 35:34.
- Fairfax’s Sarah Bishop, who won the Marine Corps Marathon seven seconds short of the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials standard for 2020 beat that standard Dec. 3 at the California International Marathon, running 2:42:36. Arlington’s Jessica McGuire, who ran 2:43:55, also qualified. McGuire was a guest on Dec. 11’s Pace the Nation podcast. Kyle Stanton, of Rockville, qualified by running 2:17:48.
- Matt Rodjom will represent the United States in the World Para Athletics Marathon World Cup, part of the 2018 London Marathon. He runs despite Leber’s Hereditary Optic Neuropathy, which distorts most of his vision directly ahead.
- Rochelle Basil (1:25:42) of Fairfax and Austin Kidd (1:14:14) of Columbus, Ga. won the RRCA D.C. state half marathon championship at the Gar Williams Half Marathon Dec. 17.
- Three two-time local Foot Locker finalists raced Dec. 9 in San Diego. Walter Johnson’s Abbey Green finished 12th in 18:03.4, exactly a minute behind winner Claudia Lane of California. National Cathedral School’s Page Lester was two places behind Green in 18:06.4. Heather Holt, from George Marshall, was 31st in 18:48.4.
Comments on the Hains Point road proposal are due Thursday night, NPS will present study on Military Road pedestrian and bike access.
While D.C.’s Sebastian Grund fought to his first marathon finish, his fiance fought off moms who hoped her motivational sign was an open invitation.
Heritage alumna Weini Kelati ran the world championships 10 k standard and several local runners won distance races at college conference championships.
Beach Drive in D.C.’s Rock Creek Park will remained closed to through traffic until at least Labor Day, local infrastructure planners want runners’ input.