• Lake Braddock won the girls distance medley relay at the New Balance Outdoor Nationals in Greensboro, N.C. over the weekend. The team of Shannon Browning (3:35 for 1200 meters), Skyla Davidson (0:58 for 400 meters), Samantha Schwers (2:11 for 800 meters) and Kate Murphy (5:03 for 1600 meters) totaled 11:49.62 to win by more than seven seconds. They led a crew of D.C. area runners who totaled four top-three finishes in distance championships.
3.Ryan Lockett – Poolesville 9:21.79
Distance Medley Relay
3. Lake Braddock 10:20.53
4 x 1 mile relay
Loudoun Valley 17:42.03
• A number of running clubs are holding a sunset run for refugees Tuesday – World Refugee Day – starting at 7:30 p.m. at Penn Social. A roughly-5k loop will head to the Lincoln Memorial for a ~8:40 vigil. Find out more here
• Dyestat recounts 2015 Foot Locker Cross Country champion Wieni Kelati‘s year away from competitive running, during which she pursued her diploma at Heritage High School in Leesburg.
• The final tally by road racing trade group Running USA found that four D.C.-area races ranked among the 50 largest domestic road races in 2016:
12. Army Ten-Miler 24,008
24. Marine Corps Marathon 19,690
31. Cherry Blossom Ten Mile 16,009
33. Rock ‘n’ Roll D.C. Half Marathon 14,498
• On Wednesday evening June 14, a motorist drove north on the Metropolitan Branch Trail.
Police arrest former high school coach, Cherry Blossom lottery open, US XC champs come to Virginia in ’23 and ’24, D’Amato wins national half marathon title, Farley indulges himself.
Since everyone seems to be remarking that last year felt like five, here’s some of what happened in the local running scene in 2021.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the 62 best cross country runners in the D.C. area.
RunWashington’s coaches panel reviewed the 2021 season and picked the seven girls and seven boys for the All-RunWashington Virginia team.