- Several runners with local connections won NCAA Division I conference championships this past weekend:
- Atlantic 10 – Ashley Lewis, George Mason, 800 meters – 2:07.09
- Atlantic Coast – Rachel Pocratsky Virginia Tech/Good Counsel, 800 meters – 2:03.43
- Big East – Rachel McArthur Villanova/Patriot mile – 4:58.14
- Ruach Padhal Georgetown, 800 meters – 1:49.08
- Mountain West – Weini Kelati, New Mexico/Heritage, mile – 4:37.51
- Arlington’s Mike Wardian ran the fastest known time for the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, covering 45 miles starting in Purcelleville and ending in Shirlington in 5:06:10.
- High school state indoor championships concluded last weekend. Here are distance event winners and some prolific performances:
- In Virginia’s 4A meet, Jacob Hunter led a top 10 sweep by Northern Virginia runners in the 1600 meters, including nine Loudoun Valley runners
- In Virginia’s 6A meet, Laura Webb was the first of nine Northern Virginia runners to sweep the 1600 meters
Comments on the Hains Point road proposal are due Thursday night, NPS will present study on Military Road pedestrian and bike access.
While D.C.’s Sebastian Grund fought to his first marathon finish, his fiance fought off moms who hoped her motivational sign was an open invitation.
Heritage alumna Weini Kelati ran the world championships 10 k standard and several local runners won distance races at college conference championships.
Beach Drive in D.C.’s Rock Creek Park will remained closed to through traffic until at least Labor Day, local infrastructure planners want runners’ input.