- Several runners with local connections won NCAA Division I conference championships this past weekend:
- Atlantic 10 – Ashley Lewis, George Mason, 800 meters – 2:07.09
- Atlantic Coast – Rachel Pocratsky Virginia Tech/Good Counsel, 800 meters – 2:03.43
- Big East – Rachel McArthur Villanova/Patriot mile – 4:58.14
- Ruach Padhal Georgetown, 800 meters – 1:49.08
- Mountain West – Weini Kelati, New Mexico/Heritage, mile – 4:37.51
- Arlington’s Mike Wardian ran the fastest known time for the Washington & Old Dominion Trail, covering 45 miles starting in Purcelleville and ending in Shirlington in 5:06:10.
- High school state indoor championships concluded last weekend. Here are distance event winners and some prolific performances:
- In Virginia’s 4A meet, Jacob Hunter led a top 10 sweep by Northern Virginia runners in the 1600 meters, including nine Loudoun Valley runners
- In Virginia’s 6A meet, Laura Webb was the first of nine Northern Virginia runners to sweep the 1600 meters
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Celebrate Memorial Day! Honor our past and present military heroes and first responders by running in the annual RINGING IN HOPE: A SALUTE TO OUR TROOPS! Join your friends and neighbors on May 29, 2023, at