- Former Georgetown runner Hugh Joseph Short, who set a world record in the 660-yard dash and was on a world -record-setting mile relay team (3:17.2) before leaving to serve in World War II, died Nov. 4 at age 98.
- Construction on the Arlington Memorial Bridge will limit access to the south sidewalk (with detours posted) and the Mount Vernon Trail will be closed under the bridge from 9 p.m.- 5 a.m. until early 2021.
- Loudoun Valley’s girls, running as The Jungle, finished fourth in what is essentially the national high school club cross country championships Nov. 15 in Terre Haute, Ind. Ava Gordon finished seventh overall on a scoring team that included Ally Talley and Ricky, Scarlet and Cecelia Fetterolf, along with Maddie Smith and Katherine Slovak.
- Springfield ultrarunner Megan Alvardo, who ran on the U.S. 24-hour team last year, will be the guest on this week’s Potomac River Running Instagram Live, Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 8 p.m.
The Potomac Heritage Trail is currently closed south of the Arlington County parking lot at the intersection of Glebe Road and Chain Bridge Road. The NPS is working with Arlington County and the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club to identify a temporary deour and a plan to reopen.
- Arlington County is accepting comments through Friday Nov. 20 on a project to improve three trail intersections on the Bluemont Junction Trail.
- Oakton and American alumna Keira D’Amato was a guest on the Ali on the Run podcast.
- D’Amato, Reston’s Susanna Sullivan, former Fairfax resident Bethany Sachtleben, Molly Seidel and Emily Durgin will take a shot at the American 10-mile record (52:12) at 8 a.m. Monday Nov. 23 at the Up Dawg Ten Miler, which will be livestreamed on the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Facebook page.
- The Cherry Blossom organizing committee will announce a decision on holding the 2021 race by Dec. 31 before opening registration.
- The District Track Club’s coach Tom Brumlik and athlete Jacob Dumford, both of Arlington, were guests on the Run Your Mouth podcast, along with teammate Willy Fink of Blacksburg.
Comments on the Hains Point road proposal are due Thursday night, NPS will present study on Military Road pedestrian and bike access.
While D.C.’s Sebastian Grund fought to his first marathon finish, his fiance fought off moms who hoped her motivational sign was an open invitation.
Heritage alumna Weini Kelati ran the world championships 10 k standard and several local runners won distance races at college conference championships.
Beach Drive in D.C.’s Rock Creek Park will remained closed to through traffic until at least Labor Day, local infrastructure planners want runners’ input.