- Former Georgetown runner Hugh Joseph Short, who set a world record in the 660-yard dash and was on a world -record-setting mile relay team (3:17.2) before leaving to serve in World War II, died Nov. 4 at age 98.
- Construction on the Arlington Memorial Bridge will limit access to the south sidewalk (with detours posted) and the Mount Vernon Trail will be closed under the bridge from 9 p.m.- 5 a.m. until early 2021.
- Loudoun Valley’s girls, running as The Jungle, finished fourth in what is essentially the national high school club cross country championships Nov. 15 in Terre Haute, Ind. Ava Gordon finished seventh overall on a scoring team that included Ally Talley and Ricky, Scarlet and Cecelia Fetterolf, along with Maddie Smith and Katherine Slovak.
- Springfield ultrarunner Megan Alvardo, who ran on the U.S. 24-hour team last year, will be the guest on this week’s Potomac River Running Instagram Live, Wednesday, Nov. 18 at 8 p.m.
The Potomac Heritage Trail is currently closed south of the Arlington County parking lot at the intersection of Glebe Road and Chain Bridge Road. The NPS is working with Arlington County and the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club to identify a temporary deour and a plan to reopen.
- Arlington County is accepting comments through Friday Nov. 20 on a project to improve three trail intersections on the Bluemont Junction Trail.
- Oakton and American alumna Keira D’Amato was a guest on the Ali on the Run podcast.
- D’Amato, Reston’s Susanna Sullivan, former Fairfax resident Bethany Sachtleben, Molly Seidel and Emily Durgin will take a shot at the American 10-mile record (52:12) at 8 a.m. Monday Nov. 23 at the Up Dawg Ten Miler, which will be livestreamed on the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Facebook page.
- The Cherry Blossom organizing committee will announce a decision on holding the 2021 race by Dec. 31 before opening registration.
- The District Track Club’s coach Tom Brumlik and athlete Jacob Dumford, both of Arlington, were guests on the Run Your Mouth podcast, along with teammate Willy Fink of Blacksburg.
Divided lanes coming to Hains Point, safety measures in the works for the Mount Vernon Trail, three locals make national high school XC meet, local collegians race at NCAAs.
St. Albans and GVS’s Vivian Kelly won their first DC cross country titles while St. Johns’ girls and St. Albans’ Pierre Attiogbe repeated.
Beach Drive remains closed to through traffic year-round, locals win conference, USATF titles.
Capt. Kyle King won the Marine Corps Marathon, a year after he planned to make his debut at the race, and Chelsea Baker of the British Royal Navy made tremendous strides winning the women’s race.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Celebrate Memorial Day! Honor our past and present military heroes and first responders by running in the annual RINGING IN HOPE: A SALUTE TO OUR TROOPS! Join your friends and neighbors on May 29, 2023, at